Starter Mystery Box

I took a break for 6 months, came back and there's barely any player growth. Sure maybe some left and some new players took their spots, but there's no major growth at all. Maybe I'm wrong but whenever I check, player count is usually the same as it was in early 2018, at both peak and non-peak times.

I think more time needs to be invested into giving updates that benefit newer players. Obviously, the variety of spawnable items has been decreased a lot over the last few months, so it really limits newer players to what they can do. You might ask, “Well yeah, that’s why all these bosses have been added, so newer players can make some easy pkp.” Let’s be real, new players are just keen to get right into pking, and I really don’t see why someone should have to spend an hour of their time bossing just to purchase untradeables to pk with.

This leads me to my suggestion, some type of server-loaned system. Perhaps a 'starter mystery box' (similar to current mystery boxes) that will give out an item that can benefit players for a limited amount of time. Of course the item would be untradeable, unstakeable, not able to be used at ::risk, and not dropped on death. I think every new player should receive one of these boxes upon their first login (IP-Based), and once their item runs out of time (1 hour) there would be a cool-down till they got their next box. 

Perhaps I could be totally wrong about the player count, but I’d still like to see beneficial updates that help newer players taken into account.

Here are two quick, scuffed photoshops I made on what the box could look like.

914632761_loanboxfinished.png.d6bd0b7f1e13b35461d39f70fac6d4e0.png33168374_loanboxscreen2finished.png.c4a53f2f96672f9943ad6220225e8393.png 

• Upvote 5
2 minutes ago, Gretar said:

could work but imagine u smite someone with claws then u dont get them cause he got them from this box thing, would just piss off a lot of ppl I think. Also check out our new key pvp update, now u make avg 50 pkp per kill, it use to be 8 pkp 6 months ago, so making money pking is easier now.

haha

21 minutes ago, Gretar said:

could work but imagine u smite someone with claws then u dont get them cause he got them from this box thing, would just piss off a lot of ppl I think. Also check out our new key pvp update, now u make avg 50 pkp per kill, it use to be 8 pkp 6 months ago, so making money pking is easier now.

I mean, it's not so much making money, it's more just pking off the bat. It's hard enough for players using whip, full rune, glory, rune boots, dds, etc. Plus they're basically forced to fight dharokers, max str setups, divine emblem farmers, raggers, and so on. I'm also sure that around half of the newer players that join aren't that experienced, and would like to learn to pk using roat. 

You could always limit how many boxes each player would get. For example 1 box upon login, or a box every 3 hours until they hit they have used 3 boxes? 

With the smiting scenario, you could reward the player with a higher chance at getting deadman keys? Or just drop a free tier 2-4 emblem? Fantastic even suggested giving the items a different shade of color to show that they're not real. However I honestly don't think players would get mad smiting a player and not getting loot, it's pretty uncommon nowadays anyway.