omg i just shat my pants

Sabbelkutje

Here's an article to help you over your disease.

There are many things that you can learn about the status of your health just by observing the color and texture of your poop and the frequency with which you go. All of you veteran Crohnies out there know exactly what I am talking about. For all of you newly diagnosed Crohn’s patients, I hope this will help you a little. And, everyone, please provide your insight as well!

Brown

Brown is the normal color of poop. There is a pigment called bilirubin that is formed when the red blood cells in the liver and bone marrow break down. This ends up (by a complicated process) in the intestines where bacteria begins to form and eat which turns the poop brown. When iron in the red blood cells combine with bilirubin, it turns brown and when the iron influenced bilirubin combines with the poop, it turns it brown. Brown poop is normal and should not cause you any concern.

Green
I have had a lot of trouble with green poop this year. Sometimes it is even a bright shade of green. Apparently, bile is green and when the poop goes into the large intestines, that is where it turns brown. When the poop goes through the intestines too fast, it has no time to turn brown, so it comes out green. My doctor has assured me that I shouldn’t worry about this. Also, poop can be green due to eating a lot of green leafy vegetables. Iron supplements can also make your poop green. I don’t worry about this color of poop anymore. But if the smell changes or there is blood, then tell your doctor.

Dark black tarry-looking stools 
Dark black or tarry-looking stool usually means that there is dried blood in your stool. This means that you have some internal bleeding somewhere along your intestinal path but is far enough away from your rectum that it has time to dry. This color is reason for concern, and you should go see your doctor.

Bright red
This is usually from a bleeding ulcer in the lower intestinal track or from hemorrhoids. This is also not a good thing and should be brought to your doctor’s attention. In general, blood is not something that you should see, and you should make sure that your doctor is aware that it is there and how much you see.

Full of mucus
Whenever I am having a flare, my poop has a lot of mucus in it. Mucus is a clear, white or yellow substance with the consistency of jelly, which is produced by the mucous membrane of the large intestine. Normally, it is there to protect the lining of the intestines and help make things pass more easily. For me, this is a sign that my Crohn’s is active. When you have ulcers in the intestines, they will produce puss and mucus. You should let your doctor know that it is there and if it is more than usual (in my case it is common) tell your doctor. I used to get a lot of mucus when I had an abscess and most of the time the mucus would come through the fistula. Now that my Crohn’s is calmer, it hasn’t been a problem. Hopefully, I am not jinxing myself!

Floating
This is a sign of bad digestion and that you have a lot of air inside your intestines. This happens usually when I eat something that I was not supposed to eat – like chocolate, milk products or fatty things like fries. For me, floating stools do not necessarily mean that my Crohn’s is acting up. But if I have this, then I begin to watch what I eat closely to see if it gets better.

Foul-smelling
Whenever my poop starts to smell like the ocean, or really foul eggs, I take note. If this continues for a few days, and comes with lots of cramping and diarrhea, then I let my doctor know. Sometimes I will get foul-smelling poop from eating something that I should not have eaten. But, it could also mean the resurgence of my Crohn’s so I pay attention. When I was first diagnosed, I remember that one of the first symptoms was that awful rotten ocean-smelling poop. So, when you have this, watch what you eat. And if it doesn’t get better, then see your doctor.

Ribbon like or small in diameter
This is due to the narrowing of the intestines. Each time that your intestines heals after being ulcerated, the scar tissue that forms is not as flexible as the tissue that was there before the ulcer. This means that the intestine can not stretch as much as normal so the stool will become smaller. I am hoping that I never get an obstruction which could be possible if there is too much narrowing and the stool can not pass. This will cause a lot of pain because the pain nerves are activated most when the intestines stretch.

It is very common for me to have a combination of any of the above types of poop. Typically, if something happens for one day, I pay attention. The second day, I pay more attention. The third day, I get worried and depending on the type and severity, I will call and make an appointment with my doctor. Sometimes it will take a week to settle back down, but if it is getting better and better, I will usually wait it out and see if it will go away. For years, I had a lot of mucus and diarrhea and my CRP (blood test that indicates the level of inflamation) was always 30 or above which is really high. This means that there was a lot of inflammation which is a sign that theCrohn’s is acting up.

I hope that this helps, and I hope that no one is grossed out.

Gl on your adventures with poop, don't catch ebola.