Economy Reset

Knasterd

Before you share your thoughts:

With this thread I'm not asking for an economy reset. I'm not saying that a reset should be good neither am I trying to say that it would be bad. I'm just interested in your thoughts. An economy is very hard to keep stable enough to keep items in value on a rsps, eventhough Roatpkz is one of the best, biggest and most sucessfull private servers (ever). In a PvP (spawn) based server a stable economy is... pretty important. 

All this makes this topic a pretty interesting one to discuss about. What are your thoughts? Is building up your bank for good pk gear (I'm not talking about numerous custom items, 80 twisted bows etc) still challeging enough? Is the economy still challeging in general? Do you think an economy reset is good? Do you think an economy reset would be bad? 

What do you think what happens if Roatpkz would start a fresh economy? Do you have an idea's for money sinks? Do you think certain items should be cheaper or more expensive? Are there still enough options for a fresh (or freshly cleaned) player to start out?

Let me know your thoughts and let's discuss in this topic about the economy of Roatpkz, its history and future.

I'm not choosing a side at the moment, in fact I don't really mind whatever happens: I enjoy RoatPkz eitherway.

Please keep it friendly (for once). 

Edited by Knasterd
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Speedsmasher said:

some people are insanely rich rn so i can see that it might not be a 'challenge' to get x amount of t bows or whatever anymore, but people have put a lot of time into the game and at the same time the economy is kinda balanced rn, some prices fluctuate but not majorly so i dont see it happening

100% true. Prevent people to be insanely rich is impossible in my eyes, there will always be a set of eco holders in-game. And yes, the economy feels pretty balanced atm, but with achievement rewards and other new content quite a bit of stuff is flooding into the eco. Do you think trading post taxes and lottery taxes take enough pkp out of RoatPkz's economy to keep the economy balanced enough? If no, what do you think would be a good eco sink?

Edited by Knasterd

Love to see more "taxing" or other kind of stuff.
But as @Speedsmasher said, people have put to much time init and would be hella annoyed over starting over.

As for content there's plenty of ways to rebuild, especially since skilling got released aswell.
People are just incompetent with the way rebuilding works, since they think duel arena is the only way to go.

There's plenty of PvM content, and people can grind that for days without getting bored if they decide to switch it up with different monsters. 

PvP same shit, more content coming in the game, Warfare Event. People can easily grind ags from scratch in one day, by only edge pking if they can pk just slightly. 

Eco reset bad idea - More taxing kind of stuff  would be nice to see.

Hello, interesting topic. First off, only the owner or whoever has access to the analytics of the amount PKP/items in the game can accurately assess the health of the economy. Anything else is just pure speculation therefore not enough evidence to debate the state of the economy in roatpkz, just anecdotal at best. 

There are numerous direct and indirect PKP/item sinks in the game to prevent a reset, some of which already mentioned in this topic:

Direct pkp/item sinks:

1) Trading Post tax - this can be adjusted by the owner if need be. 

2) Lottery tax - this can be adjusted by the owner if need be.

3) Abdul - MAJOR item sinker. can be adjusted if need be.

4) Untradables/degradables repair costs (void, barrows, deg armours) 

5) Well of luck 

Indirect pkp/item sinks:

1) Wilderness Clue Scrolls - removes vote/dpoints 

2) Flower Poker/Dicing - remove dpoints

3) Inactive accounts - people who quit or go inactive 

4) Gambling - stakers who win everything and hoard them

5) Hoarders/Collectors - self-explanatory 

6) RWTers getting wiped

7) Active server with new players - efficient exchange of items and money will ensure constant supply and demand

These are just a few examples I could think up of rn, but im sure there are more in the game. 

My opinion is that an eco reset should be the last resort. Roat is doing well atm and a reset would be an unnecessary risk. There are numerous ways to solve the problem (if there is a problem) by introducing additional sinkers or adjusting the current sinkers. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Fruitiest said:

eco reset would be fun imo but i think most people wouldn't be happy with it

yes bro imagine ur banks is 10m or 100m and boom happens eco reset back to zero and maybe many people gonna quit.

13 hours ago, Niye said:

yes bro imagine ur banks is 10m or 100m and boom happens eco reset back to zero and maybe many people gonna quit.

mines 10m+ atm and id like for a reset

being rich is boring

8 hours ago, Z Sver said:

every server that does an eco-reset generally struggles to keep their community. it's just a hit or miss

hit or miss

i guess they never miss

20 hours ago, goat said:

Love to see more "taxing" or other kind of stuff.
But as @Speedsmasher said, people have put to much time init and would be hella annoyed over starting over.

As for content there's plenty of ways to rebuild, especially since skilling got released aswell.
People are just incompetent with the way rebuilding works, since they think duel arena is the only way to go.

There's plenty of PvM content, and people can grind that for days without getting bored if they decide to switch it up with different monsters. 

PvP same shit, more content coming in the game, Warfare Event. People can easily grind ags from scratch in one day, by only edge pking if they can pk just slightly. 

Eco reset bad idea - More taxing kind of stuff  would be nice to see.

I agree so much with the rebuilding. And ags from one day is broadly taken. You can litteraly vote and you're already halfway there! :)

On 8/26/2020 at 5:59 PM, zite said:

Hello, interesting topic. First off, only the owner or whoever has access to the analytics of the amount PKP/items in the game can accurately assess the health of the economy. Anything else is just pure speculation therefore not enough evidence to debate the state of the economy in roatpkz, just anecdotal at best. 

There are numerous direct and indirect PKP/item sinks in the game to prevent a reset, some of which already mentioned in this topic:

Direct pkp/item sinks:

1) Trading Post tax - this can be adjusted by the owner if need be. 

2) Lottery tax - this can be adjusted by the owner if need be.

3) Abdul - MAJOR item sinker. can be adjusted if need be.

4) Untradables/degradables repair costs (void, barrows, deg armours) 

5) Well of luck 

Indirect pkp/item sinks:

1) Wilderness Clue Scrolls - removes vote/dpoints 

2) Flower Poker/Dicing - remove dpoints

3) Inactive accounts - people who quit or go inactive 

4) Gambling - stakers who win everything and hoard them

5) Hoarders/Collectors - self-explanatory 

6) RWTers getting wiped

7) Active server with new players - efficient exchange of items and money will ensure constant supply and demand

These are just a few examples I could think up of rn, but im sure there are more in the game. 

My opinion is that an eco reset should be the last resort. Roat is doing well atm and a reset would be an unnecessary risk. There are numerous ways to solve the problem (if there is a problem) by introducing additional sinkers or adjusting the current sinkers. 

What do you think of actual staking/flower poker/dice taxes? (same as osrs but that you can still stake items)

1 hour ago, Knasterd said:

What do you think of actual staking/flower poker/dice taxes? (same as osrs but that you can still stake items)

The problem is that idk the amount of pkp/items in the game so I cant give an informed opinion. Currently Roat hovers 400+ players, been increasing activity past several weeks, so any sort of taxes would be risky given the increase in activity. In addition, there are many sinkers in the game as I previously mentioned that could be readjusted if need be.

Further taxing of gambling should be last resort since it would undoubtedly make a lot of players unhappy. OSRS has no choice but to enforce a duel tax bc their game is flooded with RWT which means bots/farmers are constantly inflating the game with gold- duel arena is their money laundering loc. RWT is very bad for the server, not bc the server is losing money, but mainly it incentivizes ppl to farm a fuckload of items/gp and fk the economy in a short amount of time. 

FP - donator points tax already exists. the tax isnt too high and it's cleverly hidden. excellent implementation.

Dice - requires dicebag (somewhat of a tax), but let's be realistic rarely anyone dices in roat bc the dice area is too far north. they should move the dice area to a better location, and add a dice fee per game (buy 1 dice game for 150 pkp, 10 games = 1.5k pkp) from gambling npc). would like to see a variety of games at ::gamble. 

Staking (duel) - duel arena is separate and staking tax would piss off players and possibly deter them from gambling. should be last resort. I recently suggested an option to unrehab for a fee (10K -25K PKP) which could potentially act as a minor sink. My reasoning is that if people wanna gamble they could ask their friend (some of them may get scammed), chuck lottery, or find other ways around it. By having an unrehab fee it would sink some pkp while preventing ppl from getting scammed. 

From my observation thus far, roat has done a good job by having numerous sinkers in the game. The design is very intricate and meticulously planned. Ofc there is always room for improvements. Just gotta be creative :P

38 minutes ago, zite said:

I recently suggested an option to unrehab for a fee (10K -25K PKP) which could potentially act as a minor sink. My reasoning is that if people wanna gamble they could ask their friend (some of them may get scammed), chuck lottery, or find other ways around it. By having an unrehab fee it would sink some pkp while preventing ppl from getting scammed. 

I really like this one!

6 hours ago, Killbob said:

Prices of items with how many are ingame are too low with how much pkp is ingame. I would like eco reset but there's items people have donated for which would make it hard to eco reset like customs and just reg items. Lots of charge backs

So if I'm right you feel like there's too much pkp in-game and you don't see a sucessful eco-reset happen. Do you think the current pkp sinks have enough impact? Or would you like to see more pkp to sink? Or... Just keep it as it is?

16 hours ago, Knasterd said:

So if I'm right you feel like there's too much pkp in-game and you don't see a sucessful eco-reset happen. Do you think the current pkp sinks have enough impact? Or would you like to see more pkp to sink? Or... Just keep it as it is?

I want an eco reset but gretar has stated a few times that the current pkp sinks are enough to balance the eco

23 hours ago, Killbob said:

Prices of items with how many are ingame are too low with how much pkp is ingame. I would like eco reset but there's items people have donated for which would make it hard to eco reset like customs and just reg items. Lots of charge backs

Even if that were true, it's risky raising the price of items bc there is a daily influx of new players. It would be difficult for a new guy to play this game if prices of pk items were raised significantly due to high amt of pkp in the game. Roat is designed to have fixed prices for certain pk essentials, which prevents merchants and hoarders from price manipulating items to a point where there is hyperinflation and negatively impact the game for new and existing players. If there is too much pkp in the game the owner could implement new sinkers or readjust existing pkp/item sinkers to balance the economy. And yeah, it would certainly be a headache as u mentioned with customs etc unless they get compensated.

I see the path as this:

Player starts and either donates or has to pk/pvm

If they're good enough, they can risk fight and make bank but there's still luck involved.

Slayer/Skilling/Merching -> Revs -> Clue Scrolls and pvp

versus

Begging for hooks & yolo chucking for bank

That's the state of roat. You have a populous that made bank from staking and others that put in many hours of hard work to earn money. I may be biased against an eco reset, but regardless I'd be indifferent as the strategy doesn't really change if the eco were to reset. You'd just see multi clans lock down revs and slowly build back up while witnessing a slim few take most of the economy via fp/staking. Hence the reset being pointless.

8 hours ago, rulesrrules said:

I see the path as this:

Player starts and either donates or has to pk/pvm

If they're good enough, they can risk fight and make bank but there's still luck involved.

Slayer/Skilling/Merching -> Revs -> Clue Scrolls and pvp

versus

Begging for hooks & yolo chucking for bank

That's the state of roat. You have a populous that made bank from staking and others that put in many hours of hard work to earn money. I may be biased against an eco reset, but regardless I'd be indifferent as the strategy doesn't really change if the eco were to reset. You'd just see multi clans lock down revs and slowly build back up while witnessing a slim few take most of the economy via fp/staking. Hence the reset being pointless.

Yeah I feel you with this. An eco-reset is, in my eyes, temporarily. Resets would only have a good side if there was massively duped or something. A reset could also be good to 'relaunch' the server to let it feel like it's brand new again and in that way it could attract tons of new players if advertised. For now the playerbase is growing daily and its been the best summer for RoatPkz throughout the years so far.

However, if an economy reset would take place it would somehow really hype me up aswell, fresh start; fresh everything. But for now... I don't think it's very good regarding the rising playerbase.

How would you feel about a reset?

18 hours ago, Knasterd said:

Yeah I feel you with this. An eco-reset is, in my eyes, temporarily. Resets would only have a good side if there was massively duped or something. A reset could also be good to 'relaunch' the server to let it feel like it's brand new again and in that way it could attract tons of new players if advertised. For now the playerbase is growing daily and its been the best summer for RoatPkz throughout the years so far.

However, if an economy reset would take place it would somehow really hype me up aswell, fresh start; fresh everything. But for now... I don't think it's very good regarding the rising playerbase.

How would you feel about a reset?

I'm indifferent as stated, but it would be just like deadmanmode in osrs imo. Players understand efficiency so all would just grind out and it'd be back to normal quickly. The real question is how would you compensate the previous donators? You can't reset them since they donated their irl money. I wouldn't want to lose the fruit of all my hard work, but I can understand your perspective in terms of the grind to make everything back. You'd almost need rolling resets to accomplish what you want. Imagine if the server was like dmm and reset every 24 hrs

Edited by rulesrrules

3 hours ago, rulesrrules said:

I'm indifferent as stated, but it would be just like deadmanmode in osrs imo. Players understand efficiency so all would just grind out and it'd be back to normal quickly. The real question is how would you compensate the previous donators? You can't reset them since they donated their irl money. I wouldn't want to lose the fruit of all my hard work, but I can understand your perspective in terms of the grind to make everything back. You'd almost need rolling resets to accomplish what you want. Imagine if the server was like dmm and reset every 24 hrs

a reset every 24 hours would be a bit too often, but once in three months (for exmaple) could be pretty interesting. It would be a risky change though, would love to see how this would work out on an alternative world or something. On the other side it could make the playerbaser fall apart aswell. Compensating donators would be a thing yes, maybe a percentage of their total donated amount? 

This is like the 93rd threat since 2013 about an economy reset and still has not happened.

If you truly want an economy reset your best option~ is telling Gretar to make a 2nd world(Not linked to this main version of RoatPKZ) So all users get a "Fresh start"

- there is 1 problem however: The community would be divided between 2 worlds(And when users are already started on this current version they would not donate for things on world 2 when they have things on w1 which = Users who choose to grind w2 only and nothing else, would ultimately cost Gretar server income.

-Now let's look at it from a different angle - IF Gretar figured out a way to convince players to donate for things on a second world with a fresh economy Gretar is still bringing in enough money to keep the game online for many more years to come

-Result from this? Simple eventually the second world will look like the main world and this time around it wont take nearly as long for the 2nd world to reach the point of the main world.

-----------

~Player count to this day is greatly higher than 2011/2012/2013 Not to mention 2011 - 2015 half of the shit in game did not exist so the economy on w2 will just grow so much at a greatly increased rate. 

RoatPKZ took 2011 - 2020 to get where it is(9 Years) with money makers being added gradually over a long period of time.

World 2 would essentially be everyone on the first day of launch so to speak and would take roughly 1 year 9 months - 2 years 4 months before it got to where world 1 would be right this second.

----------------

Assuming JewTar decided to risk his current income of $100,000/month by resetting the server entirely players would quit no doubt - newer players who have played 1 - 2 years most likely would not quit but the servers been open since 2011 and if you were to reset the server people who joined 2011 - 2015 would honestly most likely quit, this = bad as the players who are able to help and give proper assistance are now gone and all that's left is the clown of a staff team except for a small handful (TRYING) to lead the newer players lol - then the players remaining will realize the clueless arrogance of those trying to help lead the server causing more quitting 

(Now Gretar would have to go into full damage control and from there more will quit more will get pissed and it would ultimately cause a 9 year old server that has been striving for years to crumble with a single update for it never to return.)

------------------

You want an eco reset asking Gretar for a second world is the only chance you would have(But it splits community into 2 basically = loss of donations to help pay for the server and admins so this most likely will not happen only chance of us Having a second world where there is an economy, it would not be a PK world it would be an ECONOMY world like previously and allowing users the option to donate for items/a currency to buy items from a shop. Then gretar would have to add all the proper stuff to obtain certain items without donating so forth which is just not worth it when you understand you would be splitting a currently large community that is already active and frequently playing the game into how ever many hoping it works out and does not cause a loss of income.

----------------------------

I'll most likely see the reply to my post (But only items will be reset not KDR, donator ranks etc)

Problem is it's an ECO reset meaning players who either donated for a rank ticket or bought with in game and claimed it they wont get the donator points that come with the rank due to it being an "ECO Reset" Causing players to get pissy over that.

Therefore~

ECO reset/New world = not worth it as it's just to risky when everything is working perfectly fine at this time.