How to fix mage only in hybrid/tribrid tournaments?

Hey everyone, we got some issues with tournament where people are using magic only, essentially making it RNG only.

Things that won't fix it:
1. Limit food amount - we already do that to 'encourage' switching, but it doesn't prevent people form using magic only.
2. Give everyone same outfit - won't stop people from using magic only.

Things that might work:
1. Give each player x amount of magic spells per tournament round (50?), so they'd have to use them wisely (would get warning when low on spells). Both players would run out of magic spells at similar times since ppl tend to use them at similar rates.
2. Change up freeze timers & freeze immunity - it could be done but would def tick off many ppl, not so good.

Do you have any ideas how to stop it? It's not reliable making staff look over it.

Magic is simply too op on this server when it comes to higher bonus. That's the problem. I've said this a couple times on the forums. Around like 120 magic bonus or so, it's like no matter what gear you're wearing, a person can drain your food in a short period of time with barrage alone. I remember you did this 

Testing formulas but magic does not seem to have changed. It feels like there's no difference between tanking with full black d hide or karils with ahrim skirt, staff, mage's book, etc for tanking magic. You will get wrecked regardless. Bonus lower than this or so seems fine to me, I'm simply wanting to see the gap of accuracy reduced when it comes to higher magic bonus.

There's still around a week or two left to test magic in tournament worlds before they're gone. Perfect opportunity.

Edited by trihard456
Just now, Smackd said:

Might aswell just force a preset tbh 

Easiest way to do it then it makes everything equal

Or you allow people to chose what armour they want but just force them to fill up their inventory space like this:
So you'd come into the tournament like this;

71f8f71e90591154e81715313584d7a5.png -> 3b2fac067012aabc7b5016a4dc3d6e50.png -> 4b0e23b959bcd1feb3aabfe877ade261.png -> 504961a3068fbe212ddd8c18b6b182a8.png

5d3f0030c176c3b2b9bfc3c74bba1040.png -> 7f86ee9655bf8f654d48a5ae16457893.png -> 6082a5033741f0a31163b3f2830589d9.png

78c0c1b8d357b8950308b864966726d8.png -> 1c1dfeab1da7dc0e7543a1cc9920d505.png -> 4c94c44695834d2cf65c148ea8b3a133.png

But then again forcing pre-sets would be the easier solution. 

15 minutes ago, JBLIND said:

Or you allow people to chose what armour they want but just force them to fill up their inventory space like this:

71f8f71e90591154e81715313584d7a5.png -> 3b2fac067012aabc7b5016a4dc3d6e50.png -> 4b0e23b959bcd1feb3aabfe877ade261.png -> 504961a3068fbe212ddd8c18b6b182a8.png

5d3f0030c176c3b2b9bfc3c74bba1040.png -> 7f86ee9655bf8f654d48a5ae16457893.png -> 6082a5033741f0a31163b3f2830589d9.png

78c0c1b8d357b8950308b864966726d8.png -> 1c1dfeab1da7dc0e7543a1cc9920d505.png -> 4c94c44695834d2cf65c148ea8b3a133.png

Pretty much the easiest solution 

Like Jblind said, but this time for God’s sake if you have more brain cells than Gym Life PLEASE let me do them for you your staff are not pkers 😂 ok maybe Smackd

Forcing pre-sets would not only stop ”mage only” pkers but also those who choose to bring maybe a 1 way for pure nh, or 4 ways  for hybrid yanno so it’s a good solution we need it asap

21 minutes ago, JBLIND said:

Forcing pre-sets wont stop ppl from using mage only.

33 minutes ago, trihard456 said:

Magic is simply too op on this server when it comes to higher bonus. That's the problem. I've said this a couple times on the forums. Around like 120 magic bonus or so, it's like no matter what gear you're wearing, a person can drain your food in a short period of time with barrage alone. I remember you did this 

Testing formulas but magic does not seem to have changed. It feels like there's no difference between tanking with full black d hide or karils with ahrim skirt, staff, mage's book, etc for tanking magic. You will get wrecked regardless. Bonus lower than this or so seems fine to me, I'm simply wanting to see the gap of accuracy reduced when it comes to higher magic bonus.

There's still around a week or two left to test magic in tournament worlds before they're gone. Perfect opportunity.

Yes magic is VERY good with good armor, maybe give ppl weaker magic gears in tourneys?

I believe you should just limit the amount of runes used in the first place, meaning players who'd have more runes by end game are more likely to win, because they would be able to abuse the map as well, while their opponent wouldn't be able to - or it'll do the opposite and everyone will stop using spells to preserve them more often.

14 minutes ago, l DONT NOW said:

Like Jblind said, but this time for God’s sake if you have more brain cells than Gym Life PLEASE let me do them for you your staff are not pkers 😂 ok maybe Smackd

Forcing pre-sets would not only stop ”mage only” pkers but also those who choose to bring maybe a 1 way for pure nh, or 4 ways  for hybrid yanno so it’s a good solution we need it asap

Smackd is pvm noob 

1 minute ago, Gretar said:

Forcing pre-sets wont stop ppl from using mage only.

Yes magic is VERY good with good armor, maybe give ppl weaker magic gears in tourneys?

Could do that. Only problem I'd see is what would be done for the max tribrid/hybrid/zerker tournaments. They wouldn't be max anymore. Like an inbetween welfare and high risk. Would probably have to take away stuff like arcane, mage's book, magic hats, maybe imbued capes. I'm asking a lot but because tournament worlds are out, this is the perfect time to re-evaluate magic.

8 minutes ago, l DONT NOW said:

@Gretar

Fam, you’re clearly not reading comments. Ofcourse it’ll stop maging only as both players will have same food, and that’s really the main issue with maging only, winning due to outlast. PLUS it’ll stop ppl from bringing 1 way to pure nh or 4 way for brid

This is also true, especially for pure

26 minutes ago, l DONT NOW said:

Isn't forcing pre-sets basically the same as limiting food/brews for people?

27 minutes ago, Gretar said:

Isn't forcing pre-sets basically the same as limiting food/brews for people?

No, cuz people can still choose max mage, like, say majority of people use barrows gloves and d boots n shit in brid ye? One cunts gonna grab tormented bracelet & eternal boots to still outlast so no pre set ain’t same as limiting food and pre sets is what we need, GOOD ONES, I VOLUNTEER TO MAKE THEM ASWELL

1 hour ago, Gretar said:

Hey everyone, we got some issues with tournament where people are using magic only, essentially making it RNG only.

Things that won't fix it:
1. Limit food amount - we already do that to 'encourage' switching, but it doesn't prevent people form using magic only.
2. Give everyone same outfit - won't stop people from using magic only.

Things that might work:
1. Give each player x amount of magic spells per tournament round (50?), so they'd have to use them wisely (would get warning when low on spells). Both players would run out of magic spells at similar times since ppl tend to use them at similar rates.
2. Change up freeze timers & freeze immunity - it could be done but would def tick off many ppl, not so good.

Do you have any ideas how to stop it? It's not reliable making staff look over it.

just force a preset in tribrid tourney, smackd or jblind could propably make a perfect one, that solves the tribrid.

for the hybrid, there should be a preset also, that would smaller the chances of winning only maging. You should add some kind of freeze immunity there also, but i think that is a bit of work coding

I already explained, the problem is not spamming mage, the problem is the gear available making mage much more efficient than using melee (hybriding) or ranged+melee (tribrid).

You need to change the items available in the tournament bank booth.

Here is the problem in most tournaments where mage is allowed.

You can get an item for every single armor slot to accommodate for mage, making using melee+ mage defensive gear not efficient since mage is far too accurate, e.g:

in the zerk hybrid tournament you can wear

+135 mage attack bonus

For every melee item you switch into you will lose magic defence bonus, meaning it's more viable to bring less items to switch but in turn this makes melee less accurate and do less damage, meaning spamming mage is more efficient because of the items available.

https://gyazo.com/d6d738bb48d495dbb821cc199d5b1018

https://gyazo.com/89d5af0ef0786eaa9cb3235f8d689c37

Forcing a preset for the tournament will limit any forms of skill or diversity when it comes to using multiple combat styles.

I also believe highly accurate weapons (dragon claws, armadyl godsword etc) should be removed from any hybriding tournaments as the purpose of using low defence mage gear is to allow your opponent to have an opportunity to inflict high damage on you with melee (special attack) if they are skillful enough to do so.

Having items like dragon claws and AGS defeats the purpose of any skill involved since these weapons are highly accurate on all types of armor.

The only logical way to fix this imo would be to do a count on how many spells are used per hybrid fight (for both hybrids, in non tourney zones obv) over a period of 100 or so fights and find an average then just round off to x amount and use that locked in amount to determine how many spells are given in each tourney. You can even do 100 for each type of tourney style by separating the fight styles based off of the risk amount of both players (under 1,000 pkp for welf, etc) idk

• Upvote 1

i think limiting the amount of barrages is a good idea would make more skill to bridding then just wait until you hit a 170 xp barrage into a ags gmaul and pray that rng is on your side and if they do try to use only magic they will be forced into only melee for the rest of the fight because they didn't use the barrages wisely 

"Mage only strategy" works because you can run away, and force a mage only fight, with more food, giving you a great chance to win.

If there are set presets you can still mage only, it will just be closer to a 50/50 chance to win.

A good idea would be to have a smaller area, and also remove blood barrage.

And there is no such thing as the strategy you call "mage only", in tribrid fights. In tribrid you have protect from magic, and range.
Only attacking with mage the whole fight is not unfair and stupid in any combat style.

It is only unfair when the only attack both players can use is magic, because one player constantly runs away when the other is unfrozen.

EDIT:
another good idea; have a food limit, just like the saradomin brew limit. But not force any items/preset.

food limit would be 14

Edited by xeali